Parents rights

From 1 November 2021, the definition of ‘immediate family member’ will include the parents of adult Australian citizens and permanent residents. This is for the purpose of assessing exemptions to Australia’s travel restrictions only.

The definition of parents of Australian citizens and permanent residents includes:

  • biological parents
  • legal (including adoptive) parents
  • step-parents
  • parents in-law


Before you can travel, you will need to have your relationship with your adult Australian child confirmed by submitting a travel exemption request. You must submit your request through the Travel Exemption Portal. 

!!! Please be aware that while Australian travel exemption does not have a criteria to be fully vaccinated, if and when you obtain exemption you will need to check carefully with airline whether you will be allowed to board and actually fly.

Examples of evidence that you can provide include

1. Evidence that your adult child is an Australian citizen or permanent resident, such as:

  • Australian passport
  • Australian citizenship certificate
  • Australian birth certificate
  • evidence of permanent residence in Australia.


2. Evidence of your parental relationship with the Australian citizen or permanent resident, such as:

  • birth certificate
  • adoption certificate
  • marriage certificate
  • family status certificate or family book if officially issued and maintained.


Information and documents should be written in English or accompanied by appropriate English translations and must submit your request for a travel exemption at least two weeks, but not more than two months, before your planned travel.

Please bear in mind, parents cannot come to Australia without relevant valid visa. More information about getting a visa to Australia, travel exemption to any other related question – please, email us at!

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Using the site, you consent to the use of cookies unless you have disabled them.