English for migration purposes

If you think that the most important thing in the migration process is to find a job, to have some special profession or to find Australian love, unfortunately I have to disappoint you!

Obviously, the better you can express your thought, orally or in writing, the faster and better you can find a job, make friends, communicate with your partner or solve school issues for your children, get government service, or even just buy food in a supermarket. I am convinced that your proper communication is the open door to the quality of life. The quality of communication, in other words, knowledge of the English language is the very first thing you have to achieve.

Of course, you can live in your small community where everyone speaks only your native language and follows your own cultural patterns…. So, what is the point of your expensive relocation to a first-world country with a high standard of living if you always face limitations because of your English and you cannot enjoy your migration benefits?

Please do not rush for skills assessment, but complete the most important and, apparently, the most complicated task for many potential migrants – the English international exam.

1 Officially, if you are coming to Australia under the Family migration stream, for example, as a parent, a partner or a child, you do not need to provide English test results for visa application. However, if you remember, the Department has been scaring us for more than a year with upcoming changes, when an Australian partner will have to pass an English exam to get a permanent residence. Seems like the language of “love” is not enough for a sustainable family any more.

2 If you are coming to Australia as a second applicant over 18, in some cases the Department may ask you to show a functional English or pay some thousand dollars if you cannot pass the exam. By the way, the competent English level of the second applicant will give 5 extra points for a skilled visa.

3 International students have some English requirements to get the visa: very mild for colleges (vocational English), and sometimes more serious, for example for medical professionals (proficient English). Some educational providers allow students to come with no test results. In this case, they can visit an English course and pass an internal test, and then jump to the main education course. Unfortunately, this option is bringing you even further from the PR visa and also it is more expensive.

4 In case you are planning to migrate as the main applicant under the skilled stream, Government assumes you will work/do business and develop the Australian economy. What does it mean? You have to provide high-quality communication with residents at any time. Therefore, your minimum English level for this kind of candidate is competent. Moreover, having superior English you will get +20 points extra on your Point test. The exception to this rule with lower requirements are “distinguish talents” and investors – they are so important for the Australian economy that the English level is not a point.

5 If you are so engaged with English that you are ready to achieve one more level for applying for a skilled visa, I highly recommend you to check NAATI CCL test. Firstly, it will give you 5 extra points, secondly, it is a really interesting exam which will give you information about Australian life, thirdly, it is quite easy and you can take a test directly from your home.

6The validity periods of English test certificates for Migration Purposes are different for different exams, as well as it is different for the main and dependent applicants.

To proof English level for migration purposes (up to competent English), you need to have a passport of United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, Ireland or New Zealand. To proof more advanced level of language proficiency you will have to pass Department recognized exam: IELTS, PTE or Cambridge.

Be aware! Home testing such as IELTS Online or PTE Academic Online are accepted only for educational purposes, for migration you need to pass a test in a special centre (paper or computer delivery).

More important information about skilled migration you will in my new guide “Skilled Migration”. The guide is already available on the Immi School Online website.